Plurals in French, lesson 2
Unfortunately, there are also exceptions to the exceptions, when it comes to the plural form of nouns!
However they're not difficult, they just need to be remembered. Follow these two simple rules :
1. Words ending in 'z', 's' and 'x' do not change in the plural form.
2. The following words form their plural with an '-s' (despite the rule explained on page 1):
bal – pneu – cou – détail – fou – clou
Now test your understanding with the following quiz : Plurals Quiz 2
- Plurals, quiz 1 - Can you correctly use plurals in French?
- Adjectives, quiz 1 - Take your French skills further!
Assisted reading (with mp3 audio):
- Our assisted reading section will help you develop your ability to read in French; you'll intuitively learn where to place emphasis, where to pause (for a breath!), and how to pronounce full sentences of flowing text. All you have to do is follow the text while listening to the mp3 sound file.
- Our dictionary provides a English translation of all the French words we use on this web site.